Do you have a closet overflowing with ties, many of them you’ve only worn a few times? Tired of wearing the same ties over and over again in a “rotation?” Me too. So I decided to do something about it, for myself, and all the others out there frustrated with the status quo. I created FreshNeck.com, your new way of owning and wearing men’s accessories.
While working as an Assistant District Attorney, and later in finance at Merrill Lynch and Jefferies & Co, I donned the corporate uniform known as the suit and tie. My only outlet of expression was my accessories. Alas, the government doesn’t pay well, and I could not afford maintain the wardrobe I wanted. But as a trial attorney, and then as a client-facing wealth manager, I still needed to “act as if.”
So I told a colleague that sat next to me in the Merrill Lynch trainee room to bring in a bunch of ties, that I’d do the same, and we could swap, giving us both new-to-us ties. I felt like I had gone shopping for free, and it was at this “aha moment” that I realized it was possible to do this “tie-swapping” on a grand scale, allowing all involved to have limitless wardrobe options without wasting money or time. FreshNeck was officially conceived, with the Merrill Lynch trainee room playing the part of the back seat of your parents Chevy.
We created FreshNeck.com because it just made sense to take our trainee room swap and scale it nationwide. But we’re not the first people to use the model. Collaborative Consumption describes the rapid explosion in traditional sharing, bartering, lending, trading, renting, gifting, and swapping reinvented through network technologies. Examples are now seen throughout all aspects of your personal and professional life, from eBay and Craigslist to Airbnb and ZipCar.
Turns out, men’s accessories are ideal for the collaborative consumption model. First, by definition, they are meant to be constantly changed, to reflect how you want to express yourself on that particular day. Second, there is no fit component, as generally one tie fits all. Accessories also steer clear of the “icky factor,” that would plague items like shirts and socks. Finally, changes in neckwear as an industry have made this more necessary. While you are hanging on to your Gordon Gecko 4” power ties that were popular 20 years ago, ties have gotten slimmer, with new fabrics and styles being introduced to the marketplace.
Now, with sites like FreshNeck.com, you can utilize a trusted platform to receive the items you desire, without the negative implications on your wallet, closet, or time.
Just a sampling of the FreshNeck experience:
- Unmatched inventory. We’re talking ties, bow ties, pocket squares, cufflinks, and more. Unique items that you want to wear once, but not purchase. From well-known international brands (think Hermes, Brioni, Prada, Brooks Bros) to smaller, often handcrafted in the USA, brands that you would otherwise not be aware of.
- Not just traditional styles, patterns, and colors. Given the model, you have unlimited options, from new styles to seasonal fabrics. Whether it’s sampling a new designer, wearing a conversation starter, or finally attempting to pull off the bow tie, we have you covered, risk-free.
- Try before you buy. Get a bunch of compliments on your FreshNeck tie? One-click purchasing, at discount pricing.
- Recommended Accessories. Add on that perfectly paired pocket square or cufflinks.
- Reservations. Wedding or charity event next weekend? Stop wearing that same old plain black tie. Reserve any available item, and we’ll hold on to it for you, and send it out as soon as you return what you have.
FreshNeck was built with you, the user, in mind. We want your feedback to continually improve the platform. If you have any questions or suggestions, we would love to hear them. You can e-mail me personally at DavidG@FreshNeck.com, or if you prefer to keep it social, tweet us @FreshNeck or find us at Facebook.com/FreshNeck.