We’re at it again! Last week we unveiled our monthly feature, a summary of GQ Magazine (November ’13 – Michael Fassbender). This week, we tackle the annual December “Men of the Year” Issue.
As with most years, GQ’s 2013 Men of the Year come from two main pools – Actors and Musicians. The 5 separate covers feature Matthew McConaughey, Justin Timberlake, Kendrick Lamar, Will Ferrell, and the late James Gandolfini.
Our Takeaways from the Issue:
1. There is some really
overpriced expensive stuff out there, that GQ thinks make great gifts. We’re not so sure you need a $5,995 ping-pong table, $395 Hermes luggage tag, or a $799 air purifier. (We prefer selections from our Holiday Gift Guide for the Dapper Gentleman)
2. A Tweed Two-Piece can be the most versatile fall/winter suit in your closet. It can be worn together, or separated into pants/blazer, and can be dressed up or down (think chunky sweater). Keep it slim in the leg with no break for best results.
FreshNeck Style Tip: Stick with gray, and add shots of color with your accessories.
4. James Gandolfini had his demons. But he was beloved by many, and was one of the best actors. Ever. (And he showed us a big man could have style!)
6. Sarah Silverman is still the funniest gal around. If you haven’t seen the James Franco Roast, two snippets from Silverman:
On Jonah Hill: “Right before the show started, Seth (Rogen) rolled a gigantic fatty on the stage – because that was the only way we could get Jonah Hill onto the stage”
On Franco: “I don’t think James is necessarily gay or straight. I think he just literally can’t open his eyes enough to see who he’s f#&king”
7. The 25 Least Influential People of 2013: featuring Paula Deen, Anthony Weiner, Miley Cyrus, Aaron Hernandez, Justin Bieber, Tim Tebow, Lennay Kekua, and others. (somehow President Obama made the list???)
8. Jason Collins, the first openly gay American Professional athlete, has not been picked up by an team. As an aging big man with mediocre talent, it’s hard to tell the true cause. But regardless, his work is just beginning.
9. Say what you will about Matthew McConaughey
and his public shirtless exercising, but the man can act. Some of his best work: Dazed and Confused, A Time To Kill, Contact, Amistad, How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days, We Are Marshall, The Lincoln Lawyer, Magic Mike, and Mud. They are throwing the O-Word around for his performance in Dallas Buyers Club, and he is starring in the upcoming Scorsese Wall Street destined-to-be-a-hit “Wolf of Wall Street” alongside Leo and Jonah. And yes, the man looks good in everything a suit.
10. Contrary to Number 3 above, many are ready to proclaim “House of Cards” the next “best television show of all time.” Hyperbole aside, Kevin Spacey is a beast of an actor (can you be underrated with 2 Oscars?).
11. Kanye, Jay Z, Drake, and Eminem all dropped albums in 2013. Rapper of the Year – Kendrick Lamar. We’re big fans, and could do an entire post just on him (maybe we will), as he brings a fresh perspective to a game that hasn’t seen anything new in some time. Our favorite snippet: “in August, Kendrick snuck a sixty-four-bar Trojan horse into his buddy Big Sean’s song “Control” – a guest spot on a song that didn’t even make the final record. After Big Sean goes on for a while about drinking champagne in Detroit, Kendrick wakes up the entire hop-hop universe, calling out nearly ever single young rapper in the game: Drake; A$AP Rocky; J. COle; Tyler, the Creator; even Big Sean himself. The dude slaps Sean on his own song.”
12. There is still only one man that the men want to be, and the ladies want to be with – Justin Timberlake. Musician. Actor (underrated). Funny as Fuck. Style Icon.